I refer others to these posts constantly; I may as well put them here.
Shell Scripting Basics
- Why is using a shell loop to process text considered bad practice?
- Why does my shell script choke on whitespace or other special characters?
- Why is printf better than echo?
- Why is looping over find's output bad practice?
- Are there naming conventions for variables in shell scripts?
- What are the shell's control and redirection operators?
- Have backticks (i.e. `cmd`) in *sh shells been deprecated?
Also highly recommended:
Outside the Box
Member for 1 year, 3 months
0 profile views
Last seen May 7 '19 at 22:12
- Unix & Linux 30.4k 30.4k 1515 gold badges9292 silver badges206206 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 6.3k 6.3k 33 gold badges1818 silver badges3333 bronze badges
- Academia 4.1k 4.1k 11 gold badge1111 silver badges1616 bronze badges
- Vi and Vim 3.5k 3.5k 1414 silver badges4040 bronze badges
- The Workplace 3.5k 3.5k 22 gold badges1313 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 399 How to deal with an employer who refuses to allow copyright attribution in software
- 262 Only one student answered an exam question - and I strongly suspect he cheated
- 237 Why couldn't Republicans who voted to repeal Obamacare so many times under Obama do it under a Republican president?
- 191 Why is looping over find's output bad practice?
- 148 The teacher erased 3 pages of my 5 year old's completed homework
- 140 The "loop" has arrived. What does the community think about it?
- 116 Server admin sent me a private key to use. Why?
- View more network posts →