I'd like to compile a list of reasons why questions go unanswered on bse or don't have accepted answers. With the intent to categorize them, and do rudimentary analyses on the 500 questions that have evaded us.
Question does have answers, but user hasn't accepted:
- User hasn't returned
- User has not logged in using same account to accept
- User doesn't consider answer sufficient
- User has answered own question somewhere in the 'thread', and not posted detailed answer to accept.
- User has stated that it is solved, but omits the resolution method from comments or edits to own question.
Question has gone unanswered:
- has comments requesting clarification, still unclear
- comments have clarified the question but still unanswered
- Question answered (and confirmed) in comments but not added as an answer
- Question clear, how to answer isn't.
- too big?
- expertise needed?
- no off-the-shelf solution exists
- no convenient custom solution exists
This may be a foolish task, but classification can spread some light on the make-up of our dreaded 'unanswered list'.
I'm sure I've missed a few subtle scenarios, please feel free to suggest