For those new to the site. StackExchange has a little winter themed event in December for sites to participate in called Winter Bash (2014 link).
Basically, users earned "hats" for their gravatars by completing certain tasks (similar to badges).
Certain actions would trigger the user receiving a hat, which their gravatar could then "wear". For example, editing a post would yield an editor-themed hat (fedora with pen) to the editor.
From previous years:
- Users had their entire hat collection on http://winterbash2013.stackexchange.com.
- Individual users who didn’t want to participate, didn’t want to see hats, and/or are generally anti-hat had an "I hate hats" option available..
- The only visual change to the site itself was the presence of the hats and the "I hate hats" button in the footer.
- If we choose to accept, the event will run from 15 December 2014 to 4 January 2015. After the time period, all the hats go away into Last Year's Hat Bin.
- We need to decide if we want hats by December 1
This is totally optional so do we want them?
For those who don't want to participate, there will be an option in the site footer to disable these.
I submitted a reply, we will have hats.